The Big Questions of Life
Reflections with Richard Leonard SJ
- How can we believe in a God of love when we experience pain, death, suffering and disease?
- Where is God when accidents happen to us or those we love?
- How do we reconcile our faith in God’s faithfulness when earthquakes, floods, droughts and natural disasters seem to be increasing?
- In what liberating way can we understand God's plan?
- What are the three great gifts that can help is through the shadow of death and the valley of tears?
- How could a good and loving God need and want Jesus to suffer and die on Good Friday?
- Do I have to choose between science and religion?
- How can we be resilient in the face of adversity?
This video series asks the hard and challenging questions about suffering and heartache and where God is in it all.
Richard Leonard poses the questions and offers some key points for reflection. This is supported by imagery and music. Each episode invites time for personal reflection, which can flow into group faith sharing if desired. Each episode concludes with a list of relevant songs and music that offer comfort, support and hope, and suggested reading of Fr Richard’s books, by way of depthing the themes and issues raised in the video series.
Scroll down to view a sample video.
This video series is not intended to be definitive in its perspective or insights on these critical questions and concerns, but rather a stimulus for personal reflection and/or group sharing.
If viewing the video for personal reflection, in light of your own experience of suffering and heartache, you may wish to have someone support you in the video experience.
If the video series is being facilitated in a group setting, we recommend that the group leader view the video beforehand and be aware of the participants’ circumstances and readiness in reference to the specific theme of each video episode.
There are 8 episodes in this series and each episode runs for approximately 8-10 minutes.
To make the video play full screen, click this button in the bottom-right of the video to enable "Enter full screen" mode.
When the video ends press "Esc" to get out of full screen mode and return to this page.